"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15b)

woensdag 2 maart 2011

Hospital moments

This little girl was seriously sick these last two weeks. She has TB and her respiratory system just seem to be weak. Two weeks ago she landed in the hospital, first in the high care unit for a night and then to the children's ward. Here we took turns to take care of her. She is a lovely little girl, who sleeps when she is sick and wakes up to play madly, until she is completely out of breath again, and then she goes back to sleep. In all the time I sat with her she did not even cry once. Carl even did a night with her- landed on the floor when he could just not sit anymore.

It made me think of the children in Liberia who did not cry when they went to the dentist. And then we realized that it was probably because they were use to not being heard.

It was also a good opportunity to see the difference between good and bad nursing. I've always said that every nurse should spend two days a year in the hospital- they would be much nicer to the patients. The need in South Africa for nurses is high, it made me think, when will it my turn again? Can one person make a difference? How we can live Jesus in the midst of so much need and so little to work with?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten