"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15b)

zaterdag 12 oktober 2013

Impressions 4: Clinic time

Whilst at Goeie Hoop, that was my frequent pleasure to take children to the clinic. I know African clinic's, or so I thought.

End of last month, Simon was 18 months and needed immunizations. So, I ask the neighbor where the closest clinic is. Don't worry, she will take me.

So we set off. Not just she and I, but she, me, two ladies and three other babies. As we drive, we keep meeting more mother's with small babies. Every time they make me stop and pick up more. I stopped counting after a while, just hoped we didn't have to drive on the main road.

I didn't know where the clinic was, and none of them have ever traveled there by vehicle, so we did come to some point, when I was informed that we were lost. I knew exactly where we were, just not how to get to the clinic from there. So, we reversed and took a turn. Eventually we found the clinic, after I had to drive behind someone looking for a road on foot.

When I turned the corner, there were about 70 ladies, all with small babies sitting under a overhang. Great, this is going to be a loooooong day. So, I took my seat. Along came the normal friendly man, giving health education on the need of breast feeding, in a country where I yet have to see a bottle. Every now and then I got the shortened version in English. Was he trying to get me to breastfeed a 18 month old boy??

When the talk was over, I was called forward. What do I need? I explained that I was a mother of a 18 month old needing his immunizations. So, I got a tour of an extremely clean clinic, with super friendly staff, was given a chair to sit on in the midst of the other women sitting on the floor ( I have since transported benches there) and was helped first.

I could feel my face was red with embarrassment. But the beauty was that no one, not a single soul was angry or disgruntled. The ladies that came with me were also helped quickly, so they could go back with me. My neighbor said: no one will be angry, they respect you.

I have never met this attitude before. I had no idea how to react- it would be a little stupid to ask to be helped 70th, that would have offended them more. So, Twalumba Kapati- thank you very much.

You know what I think: that was grace given to me. I did not deserve being treated differently, but because of the attitude in their hearts, I was given favour. This is what God gave me: I did not deserve it, but He send his Son so that I can have favour, righteousness and so much more.

Thank you- I have no more to give 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten